Tuesday 31 January 2012

Farewell January

This weekend has been one of little work and much needed relaxation. While I ought to feel guilty for not accomplishing the extensive list of things I had to do... I don't. Saturday Tom and I went for a really beautiful walk through the country side and Sunday I made a hearty beef stew.



Now, I seem to have found a passion for the Hairy Bikers' array of recipes. The fact that I'm almost attempting to recreate everything they've made makes me feel like I'm recreating Julie&Julia (the film or book)- except hopefully not in the exact way. I don't feel manly, hairy, or an urge to jump on a harley in order to recreate their culinary creations.

This explanation has a point... the beef stew I made last night was a recipe taken from the BBC Hairy Bikers' collection. Now, I didn't ever think I had a particular soft spot for beef stew. But, as a change from tradition I bought steak in the tesco 3-for-10 deal and had no idea what to do with it! So, stew it was. After having experienced the smell that consumes the kitchen while it cooks and the taste of a slow simmered beefy stew I have to confess a soft spot has grown. Both the recipes I have tried by them have tasted like comfort. I imagine sitting inside a really cozy room with a fire on a cold winter day- perfect for English winter weather (or all year round really...)

This was an extremely easy (dairy and gluten-free) recipe that allowed me to just chop things up, throw them in a pot, and get back to the work that needed to be done. It was a wonderful end to the weekend.

Ingredients:
30g/1oz gluten-free flour
450g/1lb braising steak- cut into cubes
3 tablespoons sunflower oil
1 onion- chopped
2 carrots- chopped
2 leeks- chopped
1/2 medium swede, chopped (Have fun cutting it. It's so hard!)
1 tablespoon honey
550ml/1 pint beef stock
2 large potatoes- cut into chunks
splash of white wine (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

Preparation:
1. Place the flour in a freezer bag and add the cubes of meat. shake well to coat the meat.
2. Heat the oil in a large pan and brown the meat on all sides
3. Remove meat and set aside. Fry the onion in the same pan you used for the meat, adding more oil if you need it. Once the onions are browned add the carrots, leeks, turnips, honey and beef stock and return the met to the pan.
4. Cover and let simmer over very low heat for at least two hours.
5. About 30 minutes before serving add the potato and season to taste with salt and pepper.


This coming month is spilling over with birthdays so I will be including some cooking related gift ideas soon soon soon. Wishing you a happy farewell to January. The first month of the new year is nearly behind us. Bring on spring!

Lots of love and bon appetit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment