Wednesday 15 February 2012

Happy St. Valentine's Day

Happy Valentine's Day to every one. Although I am in agreement with a lot of people who believe valentine's day has become an overly commercialized and corny holiday, I am also incredibly grateful that there is at least one day of the year set aside to remind people that they love someone, and are loved in return- be it by a significant other, your children, your parents, your siblings or friends. That's the important part I think.

So, while I made some of these treats for my significant other, I also shared them with my friends and with my family in spirit (they are all in different corners of the globe).

They were incredibly easy. Warning - Don't wear dark clothes when making. Wearing dark jeans and a black sweater was a tiny mistake. I came out looking like I'd been run over by a truck of flour. That said, I'm not the cleanest baker. I seem to forget that after I cook I have to clean.

Warning: These are not dairy free. The cookies themselves are both gluten and dairy free but the chocolate is not. However, feel free to use dark chocolate!




Ingredients (makes 2 dozen):
2.5 cups gluten-free flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
170g dairy-free butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 160 c
2. cover flat surface with (alot) of flour and roll out dough - cut into shapes and place on foil/wax covered baking sheet.
3. bake for 10-12 minutes- just until golden.

For chocolate:
1. Place cookies on drying rack on top of tin foil (makes for a much easier clean up)
2. Break chocolate bar of choice into pieces and put in a small pot.
3. Boil water in a larger pot.
4. Place the smaller pot with chocolate over the large pot so that the steam will melt the chocolate without burning it.
5. Pour chocolate over cookies and spread.
6. Let cool until solid.

Lots of love and bon appetit.

No comments:

Post a Comment